Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sunbeams for July...

My father-in-law gave me a subscription to The Sun this past Christmas and I have been loving it! One of my favorite sections of this literary magazine is a section of thematic quotes called "Sunbeams". Here are a few of my favorites:

"Fame is vapor, popularity an accident; riches take wings. Only one thing endures, and that is character." Horace Greely

"Don't confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other." Erma Bombeck

"It's like, at the end, there's this surprise quiz: Am I proud of me? I gave my life to become the person I am right now. Was it worth what I paid?" Richard Bach

"Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"Sometimes snakes can't slough. They can't burst their old skin. Then they go sick and die inside the old skin, and nobody ever sees the new pattern. It needs a real desperate recklessness to burst your old skin at last. You simply don't care what happens to you, if you rip yourself in two, so long as you do get out." D.H. Lawrence (Check out http://blog.theaterchurch.com/2005/06/dead-skin.html for Pastor Mark Batterson's comments on this quote).

"No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our lives are made. Destiny is made known silently." Agnes de Mille

"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem." David Carradine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home