Tuesday, June 21, 2005

First Thoughts...

I've finally joined the blog scene! Feels good to be broadcasting thoughts that otherwise stay in a journal or in a computer file.

Today, I've been thinking about the idea of obedience. Here's something a bit entertaining: imagine if I just did the right thing! I'm not talking about a life of perfection. I'm just talking about living according to God's set of instructions, as revealed in the Old and New Testaments. All I really need, I have. Why not act? What would it take? Simple Faith.

I usually don't do what God instructs because I don't trust that He has my best interests in mind. I don't trust the sometimes messy, painful, unclear, confusing process of obedience. Fear, doubt, impatience, expectations, etc. pose as obstacles to simple faith. In our times, one is even considered "foolish" for such faith :-). Simple-minded. However, the mind connected to the mind of Christ is the most liberated, open, complex mind of all. It is a mind enlarged. A mind connected. It is a mind that is centered, at home. A mind able to accurately understand our times.

It is time to entrust my life, more of my life, to God, to the process. That trust is revealed as authentic through action, through active obedience.

While I know that addictions are not simply moral issues (obedience issues), the process of recovery does require active obedience, active trust. I have done a lot of work to uncover the roots of my own addiction. I am now at a place of faith. Time now to step out in faith. Step - active obedience. Obedience - the positive pursuit of that which is good and healthy (spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically), not the absence of sin/evil. Obedience is a good thing, a powerfully positive force of change. It is the life of Christ. It is all that is love and loving. Not the mere action, but motivation working with action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home