Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Power of Perception

I’m not certain that perception is everything, but I know perception powerfully influences (if not shapes) my beliefs about the world, myself, others, and on and on goes the comprehensive list.

Perhaps the power of perception sheds light on the principle “don’t judge each other”.  I believe our judgments are so flawed because of our limited perception of reality.  

Recently, I harshly judged a loved one – based on my perception of his life, behavior, and circumstances.  After spending time with him, I understood more and my judgment lost its severity; in fact, my judgment lost its meaning if it ever had any.  As my new experiences yielded more clarity about what was really true about the situation, I felt less and less of a need to judge and more and more of a need to comfort and encourage.

How many of our broken relationships, interpersonal conflicts, misunderstandings, wounds, wars, and scars have their roots in judgments based on limited perception?  When will I learn to leave judgment to a higher power with more perfect perception?  When will I learn to be present with others and accept my lack of understanding as part of being human?  When will I learn to be helpful instead of judgmental?  What worth is my judgment?

Again, more questions than answers.  But the pursuit continues!

Selah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home