Monday, January 23, 2006

Dreams

Had an interesting dream last night.  I’m not sure what to think of dreams at this point in my life journey.  Are dreams the voice of our unconsciousness - our hidden desires, wants, needs?  Are they prophetic?  Are they the voice of the supernatural, speaking to us when we are most unguarded and vulnerable?  I’m not sure, but my hunch is that dreams are all of these things and more.  

Last night’s dream:  I was in a jungle, a dense jungle filled with indigenous folks who were hiding from something.  They had fled to the area to escape some evil, but now the evil was upon them again.  The terrified face of an elderly man peering at me through the leaves greatly troubled me.  You see, I wasn’t hidden.  In fact, I wasn’t really there except as an observer.  I didn’t feel the danger like the people felt the danger.  I only knew the danger because I watched the people reacting to it.  

Besides the elderly man in the leaves, others were also hiding.  That is, they were hiding until one of their own – a younger version – came hopping and shouting into the open area close to where I was, or, at least, where I had a sense of being.  He laughed and paraded around the area, calling into the jungle to his people, calling for them to join him.  Over time, his excitement permeated the dense jungle and light began to shine where he was standing.

Those in hiding slowly revealed themselves and with some hesitation joined the jovial youngster.

The youngster shouted and chirped all the louder when the people came into open spaces.  The people forgot about the danger.  But now I began to feel that danger was upon them.  

Darkness was close by.  I wanted to warn the people to silence themselves, to hide for just a bit longer.  Something in the dense green vegetation was seeking to destroy them, and they were advertising themselves.  Clouds of grey overcame me and I longed to reach out, to shout out, to warn the people who were now smiling and happy, unaware.

The jovial one then broke into song and dance and called the people to follow him into the jungle.  As if in a drunken stupor, they followed him and vanished into the sea of green.  Their laughs and shouts of joy continued and I followed them with my ears.

Without warning, the shouts escalated into something other than joy, but only for a part of a second, only long enough to reveal that they had been betrayed.  My mind reeled and the trees began to spiral.  The ground rose above me, my eyes closed, and my heart wept for the people.

I awoke from this dream wondering if it had any sort of significance.  Do you ever have those times when it feels as if the blinders have been taken off and for the briefest moment you see the world clearly?  Upon waking, I felt a sense of clarity that, of course, I can’t describe very well now.  

For some reason my mind went to the many people who have been/are being victimized by violence.  I prayed for them.

And then my mind rested on the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  I’m not sure why, but the first picture in my mind was of the three of them in the furnace, fire blazing and enemies gazing at their anticipated destruction.

Interestingly, God didn’t make a move until they were in the furnace, until it looked as if all hope was gone.  And why did he allow these things to happen to such godly men?  Why didn’t he just destroy those idolatrous, violent men who were set against Him and all who followed Him?

Because He loved them.  Because He wanted to reach them and chose to do so in the midst of an act of violence.  Too often, I think of God wanting to destroy all the “evil” people.  Instead, stories like the fiery furnace demonstrate that God will do just about anything to reach those bent on doing evil.  Amazing that God has the ability to turn even the worst, most hopeless situations into opportunities to declare His love for all men.

What happens when someone, like the jovial one in my dream, betrays me?  Do I offer that person up for God’s wrath or ask for their heart to be turned?  When will I give up my desire for vengeance and accept God’s way of love and forgiveness?  What kind of trust does that take?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home